Gentoo question

Loïc Martin lomartin3 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 17 08:37:17 UTC 2006

Michael V. De Palatis a écrit :
> On Mon, Jul 17, 2006 at 12:35:12AM +0200, Lo?c Martin wrote:
>
>> I'd like to know if it's possible to download all the stuff necessary
>> for a Gentoo installation (DVD might be the best) so I could have
>> something to play with during my holiday... I'm looking for an X system
>> with xfce/wmaker/open office/scim/inkscape/amarok/blender and maybe (if
>> it's faster than on Ubuntu) gnome or kde.
>>

> Well, you might be able to download everything you need, but waiting
> for it all to compile is another story!
>
> Whoops, better turn off the flamebait tag. </flamebait>
>
> Mike

Personally, I find more annoying the half a second delay that occurs
regularly in Ubuntu when I'm drawing in Inkscape or the Gimp, because
that (short for other uses) delay messes up the whole drawing. Depending
on everyone's uses, that can be a real showstopper (whereas I perfectly
understand that a programmer won't be hindered that much by the
occasional short delay that might occur when refreshing a terminal.

Oh, and the frequent half a second glitch when playing a movie (it
didn't occur in Breezy) is really a problem when you can't understand
what a character is saying and has to go back a few seconds ten times a
movie :)

I'd rather let the computer compile everything at night and end up with
a system that's usable (for me), without having to invest in a new
machine (and since some of the problems are due to configuration or
programming, they might occur even on a high-end system). The state of
wmaker packages in Ubuntu is so bad (looks like old Debian
configuration, with no changes done to adapt it to Ubuntu) that I'll
have to spend a few hours to configure it anyway. I think it would be
more productive to spend these few hours learning the quirks of Gentoo :)

Loïc