Postfix/Network config out of the box - was: Re: Please participate in the Ubuntu Popularity Contest !

Christofer C. Bell christofer.c.bell at gmail.com
Sun Jul 16 23:14:16 UTC 2006

On Sun, 16 Jul 2006 14:01 -0700, Scott Kitterman <ubuntu at kitterman.com> wrote:
> I'm not sure which Ubuntu version you are using, but I've built two Postfix
> servers recently using the Ubuntu Dapper server install and I don't recall
> having to edit those files.  I don't have access to SSH where I am now, but
> I'll look at those files tomorrow when I do.

I'm using a stock installation of Ubuntu 6.06 Desktop.  When I install
mutt, it installs postfix as a dependancy.  Using the HELO command
immediately afterwards tells me that postfix is returning 'localhost'
improperly.

I didn't notice the issue until I started getting bounces from
linuxcounter.org that my machine was in the CBL blacklist for being
out of compliance with RFCs (I run machine-update from
linuxcounter.org out of cron).  The instructions I gave were those on
the CBL website, and may not be appropriate for folks for whom the
system works out of the box.

What does perturb me about Ubuntu's behavior is that the Networking
control panel will silently add either your hostname (if your system
has not been altered after installation) or your FQDN (if you've
gotten your hostname set properly) to the 127.0.0.1 entry.  If you
delete it inside the control panel, it will be there when you exit.
If you manually edit /etc/hosts, then use the control panel again, it
will be reinserted there.  I'd consider this behavior (which I am sure
is a 'feature') a bug.

Since my system was being blacklisted as configured out of the box, I
can't explain the discrepancy in our experiences.

--
Chris

"I trust the Democrats to take away my money, which I can afford.  I
trust the Republicans to take away my freedom, which I cannot."