Multiple firefoxen

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Sun Jul 16 14:41:26 UTC 2006

On Friday 14 July 2006 17:24, albi wrote:
> On Fri, 14 Jul 2006 16:36:05 -0300
>
> Derek Broughton <news at pointerstop.ca> wrote:
> > If I have firefox running in a session, start another X session for
> > the same user, and try to start firefox in that session, firefox says
> > it's already in use and I can't do that!  That is sooooo not *nix!
>
> there's a reason why firefox uses a lockfile etc.

I'm sure there is.  Would you care to share?  It's clearly not necessary.
Konqueror has no trouble allowing multiple sessions to be open, and Firefox
only has a problem if they're in different X sessions.  As far as any Linux
app is concerned there really should be no difference between two copies
running in two X sessions (as the same user) and two copies running in the
same X session.

> > Is there a way to make it allow multiple firefoxes?  The crazy thing
> > is that it has no problem opening two copies of the browser in the
> > _same_ session. --
>
> i'd say : try the ProfileManager of firefox if you really want this
> (firefox -ProfileManager)

OK, that might do the job - that's what Mozilla does by default.  Mozilla,
however, is even more of a pig than Firefox.   I use Firefox because some
pages just don't work under konqueror, but it is so slow to start.
--
derek