Wireless network on IBM T30

Karl Auer kauer at biplane.com.au
Sat Jul 15 16:56:07 UTC 2006

Hi there.

I have just installed Ubuntu on an IBMT30, replacing a venerable copy of
SuSE 9. The install went very well, but:

- almost all buttons have an odd dotty pattern on them. They are
readable and usable, and the pattern goes away if I roll the mouse over
them, but it's an irritant. I seem to remember seeing something about
this a few weeks ago, but can't recall what the solution was.

- why do icons on the desktop now need a double-click to start? The
panel icons don't. gconf-editor shows single-click checked.

- how do I install different wireless drivers? I know how to do it the
hard way, I'm hoping there's an Ubuntu way :-) The orinoco-pci drivers
never worked well on the T30 (and the interface doesn't work at all at
the moment). I want to install the hostap drivers. Oddly enough BOTH
seem to be loaded after install, maybe that's the problem. Maybe the
question is "how do I make Ubunto use the hostap drivers?" I know the
orinoco drivers are in use at the moment, because the interface is
called "eth1". If the hostap drivers were in use, it would be called
"wlan0".

- when I use Add/Remove on the applications menu, nothing changes. Is
there a trick here? I select Applications, click on Add/Remove, click on
System Tools, check the box beside GConf-Editor, and click OK. The
applications menu doesn't change. Even after I log out and log back in.

And I suppose I'm going to have to go get all the restricted codecs for
music and DVD again, and and and.... sigh. I know why it's that way, but
it's a hassle.

Regards, K.