imapd

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Fri Jul 14 00:09:39 UTC 2006

drew wymore wrote:

> I'm pretty sure its not working because Squirrelmail is looking for mbox
> but I could be wrong. What errors do you get? And I agree with Alexander,
> either dovecoat or maybe just plain imapd. I was able to get it up and
> running in an existing Qmail environment in about 20 minutes.

No,  that's not reasonable.  Squirrelmail had _better_ be looking for an
imap server.  It doesn't matter that uw-imap is using mbox (dovecot can use
maildir or mbox), except that mbox is just a generally bad way to store
mail.  There _is_ no such thing as "just plain imapd".  imapd is the
program (generally started by inetd) that interfaces between the user and
the mail-store, and it is provided by uw-imap, courier-imap, dovecot, and
no doubt many other packages I haven't tried.
--
derek