Changing device under Ubuntu

Chuang Wu chuangwoo at gmail.com
Thu Jul 13 18:19:28 UTC 2006

Hi there,
I got my IBM laptop repaired. I don't know what they have done with my
ethernet, it doesnt work right now.

when I type 'ifconfig' i got a error
'ERROR while getting interface flags: No such device'

If I type 'lspci', there is an  Ethernet controller:
Intel Corporation 82540EP Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Mobile) (rev 03)

I cannot remember what my previous ethernet is, but this seems a
little different from mine before, so I guess they change another eth0
device for me, and Ubuntu doesnt recognize it.

I wonder how could I have the driver for the adapter work without
re-install Ubuntu?

Thanks,