Limiting my own network throughput

Alan McKinnon alan at linuxholdings.co.za
Thu Jul 13 08:04:07 UTC 2006

Hi,

Here at work we have a fairly fat network pipe, shared amongst 100+
people. The local BOFH would prefer it if I didn't max out the pipe with
daily updates :-) He's a friend and doesn't want micro-manage the
network so he trusts me to do the right thing  .

I can live with updates coming through at 2kB/sec or thereabouts and
mail/web coming through at full speed. What would be the easiest way to
implement this kind of network throttling where it's still under my
control?

alan