Corrupted ext3 filesystem on top of Adaptec RAID5 array

Michael R. Head burner at suppressingfire.org
Wed Jul 12 19:20:25 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-07-11 at 13:01 +0200, Tchize wrote:
> Hi Michael,
>
> am not an expert at such linux filesystems behaviour, but your error is
> very surprising. If you were not on top of a RAID-5, i would bet for a
> hard drive failure...

Right. It's very surprising.

> Please do the following check:
>
> - if it's hardware raid, use the bios to see the RAID logs for any
> message about dead disks.

I'm 4000 miles away from the machine at the moment, so I won't be able
to check it myself until I get back on Monday...

> - if it's software raid, use the linux tools to see status of the RAID
> - take also a look at the various disk's S.M.A.R.T reports
>
> smartctl -H /dev/hdx
> smartctl -l error /dev/hdx

All the physical drives are hidden behind the RAID driver, so I only
have the logical /dev/sda drive. Plus, I don't have the SMART tools
installed.

--
Michael R. Head <burner at suppressingfire.org>
suppressingfire.org