digital rights management

Derek Broughton news at pointerstop.ca
Wed Jul 12 13:58:28 UTC 2006

Duncan Lithgow wrote:

> On Wed, 2006-07-12 at 12:42 +0200, Albin Blaschka wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I don't know how to activate those mp3s but maybe a short term solution
>> would be to try wine...it is installable over universe, as far as I
>> remember...
>> For further information see http://www.winehq.com/
>
> Wine is _very_ unstable and hard to use.

Actually, I'd disagree.  Wine is quite stable and easy to use - but hard to
get configured correctly in the first place.  After much crying (basically
something like 3 years, off and on) trying to get Quicken to work, I now
have a system that works reliably on most programs I try (including
Quicken).

> Can I suggest you either use
> wine + one of the configuration utilities or you try crossover office

Well, I _did_ have to use ies4linux to get a good configuration - and even
then there was messing about after the ies4linux install.

> for free and then buy it if it works, it's not expensive and the
> advances go back to the wine project.

Which is the easy way.  I did try Crossover, and had it working well, but I
didn't like not understanding _how_ Wine was working. I think I understand
it now, but please don't ask me to explain :-)

otoh, sound support seems chancy, so I'm not convinced it would work for
converting sound files.
--
derek