Ubuntu is not free.

Andrew Zajac arzajac at gmail.com
Wed Jul 12 00:22:30 UTC 2006

On 7/9/06, Gary W. Swearingen <garys at opusnet.com> wrote:

> It seems that the Ubuntu developers have a great desire to use only
> GPL-compatible software, but have made some compromises in favor of
> their many users who care little about such things and barely know
> what GPL means besides a few slogans.  But it's their call.

They also go out of their way to package the binary drivers
seperately.  The linux-restricted-modules packages are like fancy
underwear - sexy and easily removed.

Many people don't even consider frimware to be either free or
proprietary software since it doesn't interact with anything but the
hardware into which it gets loaded.

At best, this topic should have been a bug report.  It would have been
less annoying and probably allowed the Ubuntu kernel developers see
the need for some people to have firware packaged seperately from the
rest of the kernel.  (Although I may be wrong, but the topic has come
up on the past....)

azz