Ubuntu a poor choice for servers

ubuntu at rio.vg ubuntu at rio.vg
Tue Jul 11 19:32:06 UTC 2006

Scott Kitterman wrote:
> On Tue, 11 Jul 2006 09:06:05 -0400 ubuntu at rio.vg wrote:
>

>> The current version of SuSE's update system sucks hard.  It looks like
>> Novell forced them to use ZenWorks in some sort of misguided attempt to
>> drum up sales, and it seriously backfired.
>>
>> I'm seriously worried about SuSE's future, with more Ximian folks and
>> Novell execs calling the shots.  That said, YaST is really nice.
>>

> I have Kubuntu on the desktop today because YaST as released with opensuse
> 10.1 was totally non-functional for installing updates.  My attempts to
> manually apply fixes based on SuSE guidance only led me further into the
> maze.
>
> While historically SuSE has bee a good place to start, 10.1 was so broken
> that it is not suitable, IMO, for production use by anybody, let alone
> someone without a strong technical background.

For the most part, I agree with you.  It's what's driven me to explore
Ubuntu.  However, I simply installed apt for my SuSE boxes and that
works nicely.

fou4s for 10.1 is now out, so you can cut the Zen/Rug garbage out of the
loop entirely.  I've always been using fou4s on all my servers for years
anyway.

>From what I hear talking to other that use SuSE now, though: Given the
simply incompetent way 10.1 was released in regards to it's update
system, what's next?  The SuSE devs haven't given me any confidence for
the future.