Sylpheed-claws: importing Evolution address book ??

Vincent Trouilliez vincent.trouilliez at numericable.fr
Tue Jul 11 16:39:17 UTC 2006

Peter Garrett <peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au> wrote:
> Look for "List-Id" - I'm not using "claws" but I imagine it's the
> same as the vanilla Sylpheed version ;-)

Nope, sadly Sylpheed-Claws does not have this List-Id parameter
available :-(
But you are right, vanilla Sylpheed does !
Actually, after having a quick look at Sylpeed, I find the GUI more
user friendly (simpler/cleaner and more intuitive, very similar to
Evolution) than that of -Claws. And in particular the GUI for managing
filters, in the case at hand, is much better, and does have this
bloody List-Id thing fpr mailing lists !!
So, I would very much like to use the vanilla version, but I have two
concerns ! :-(

1) According to Synaptic, 99% of all the plug-ins are for -Claws, and
there is NOTHING for Sylpheed ! So I am a bit scared that Sylpheed
might lack features I might need today or tomorrow morning ! I am also
wondering whether Sylpheed is still actively developped and maintained
as much as -claws probably is.

2) I would have loved to evaluate it to figure by myself if it can suit
me as much as -claws feature wise, BUT, it seems to misbehave, and I
can't manage to import my mail into it !
For example, I created my account. It should be empty of course, at
first, but somehow the Inbox indicates that there are no less than 781
(!) unread messages ! But when I click on the icon to see what the heck
these messages could be... it doesn't display anything !
Then I tried to import my inbox from Evolution, with File->Import mbox
file, I select the correct file, click ok and... notihng happens at
all, it doesn't import anything ! And the 781 ghost messages are still
there, unaffected !
I configured my e-mail account properly, and tried to e-mail myself to
test everything. Result: it sends the message but complains that it
can't put it in "outbox"... and indeed there is NO outbox folder ! :-O
Then when I press the "Get" button, it spots the test e-mail on the
server, but it fails to download it, complaining that it
"can't write the file" (!) :-/

So I think Sylpheed doesn't want me ! :o(
But I like its GUI so much better that I think I will try hard to
trouble shoot it anyway. I assume you use Dapper like me, so if it
works for you, I guess it ought to work for me as well somehow ! :o)

--
Vince