Setting locale for individual programs

Duncan Lithgow duncan at lithgow-schmidt.dk
Tue Jul 11 15:57:58 UTC 2006

On Tue, 2006-07-11 at 18:29 +0300, Dotan Cohen wrote:
> On 11/07/06, Lea Gris <lea.gris at noiraude.net> wrote:
> > Dotan Cohen a écrit :
> > > I send this message to both the Ubuntu and Kubuntu lists as I'm not
> > > sure which is more appropriate. I've Ubuntu installed, and added KDE,
> > > which I use instead of Gnome.
> > >
> > > My locale is Hebrew, and I need all my GUI apps to be in Hebrew,
> > > naturally. However, my command-line and development apps I need to be
> > > in English, as the Hebrew support is very poor. The specific apps that
> > > I want in English would be:
I can run the app GRAMPS in danish by typing into the command line:

$ LANG=da_DK.utf8 LANGUAGE=da_DK.utf8 python gramps-2.1.7/src/gramps.py

Where the structure is:

$ LANG=[languagecode_countrycode].utf8
LANGUAGE=[languagecode_countrycode].utf8 [I think this is optional]
[path to the executable]

I do not know how to make menu entries for this but it can be done. Can
someone help us a bit more?

Duncan

--
Linux user: 372812 | GPG key ID: 21A8C63A | http://lithgow-schmidt.dk