Ubuntu a poor choice for servers

Alexander Skwar listen at alexander.skwar.name
Mon Jul 10 19:25:32 UTC 2006

· David Abrahams <dave at boost-consulting.com>:

> Alexander Skwar <listen at alexander.skwar.name> writes:
>

>> · David Abrahams <dave at boost-consulting.com>:
>

>>> Dapper (and Breezy for that matter) installation doesn't support LVM
>
>>> well; it's almost as though it was untested.  Try to set up a system
>
>>> with LVM from any of the different installation discs, and you'll see
>
>>> what I mean.

Btw: "From *any* of the different installation discs"? I again fail
to understand what you mean. There's just *one* installation disc,
as far as LVM is concerned.

>> I fail to see what you mean. I used the Dapper alternative install CD and was
>
>> perfectly able to use my *exisiting* VG and create new LVs and filesystems
>
>> on those LVs.
>

> That's not the test, though: the test is to start with a fresh LVM
> install.

Fine - and what should I notice?

I just create a new image in VMware for Ubuntu. I then booted the
alternative CD and went on to the partitioning of the harddisk. I
was able to select that the blank "hard disk" should be used as
a PV and I could then create a VG consisting of this PV.

As I said: I fail to see what you mean. It would *REALLY* help, if
you'd write, what you mean, instead of giving some vague hints...

>>> Dapper installation doesn't support LVM over software raid *at all*,
>

>> Don't know about software raid, but LVM is supported. Stop that FUD!
>

> I only said it wasn't "supported well" **by the installer**.  I know
> it can be made to work; I did it myself with fdisk and command-line
> tools.

I still don't get you. With the installer, I could create logical
volumes, could've removed lvs, could've modified vgs, could've created
vgs and so on. As i said: Stop that FUD, please!

>>> LVM and RAID should be considered a minimal requirement for any server
>>> system -- maybe _any_ system that's expected to have a long lifetime.
>
>> Yep. And *WHAT* are you trying to say?
>

> I'm hoping someone in a position to do something about it (I'm not the
>
> guy for it -- I've already spent well over a week on this and made
>
> little progress) will take notice and make these problems a higher
>
> priority.

What problems?

Alexander Skwar

PS: Why did your client insert a blank line after every line? Makes
reading *quite* hard....
--
Petra: Ich muß noch packen, ich bin gleich wieder da.
Dennis: Klar... gleich... 2 Koffer und ein Beautykoffer.