Strange segfaults from basic commands

Karl Hegbloom hegbloom at pdx.edu
Mon Jul 10 16:54:16 UTC 2006

On Mon, 2006-07-10 at 11:45 -0500, Michael V. De Palatis wrote:
> Usually segfaulting that often would be either some sort of hardware
> failure or a kernel issue. Perhaps the wrong kernel for your
> architecture was installed.

I've seen that happen when a CPU was overheating.  I'd been cooking
french fries in my small apartment, and the oil vapor gummed up the CPU
cooler fan.  When it got hot, everything would segmentation fault.  It
can probably also happen with bad or overheating RAM.

--
Karl Hegbloom <hegbloom at pdx.edu>