Ubuntu on a NIS network

Robert Entner ubuntu at mail1.entner.net
Mon Jul 10 13:12:38 UTC 2006

Hello Ubuntuers!

We have a small NIS network (formerly yp) with approx. 30 clients and a
server distributing /etc/passwd, /etc/group, and /etc/auto.master for
distributing links to the home directories and some others. The goal is to
have equal clients where everyone can login on each machine and have even
rights.

This was working pretty well using Suse, which sets the owner of audio/video
devices to the user which logs in at the machine. In Ubuntu the only problem
is that you have to add all users to the groups like cdrom, audio, video. Is
there a Howto on this type of setup?

The solution I can think of is to add all users in the nis:/etc/group
entries. I would preferably allow everyone to use the "desktop stuff"
without adding all users to this file and without touching the device
permissions.

Thank you,
Burt