Praising Opera 9

Alf-Ivar Holm alfh at student.matnat.uio.no
Mon Jul 10 11:56:39 UTC 2006

Alexander Skwar <listen at alexander.skwar.name> writes:

> Alf-Ivar Holm schrieb:
>> Alexander Skwar <listen at alexander.skwar.name> writes:
>>
>>> Does Opera finally have something that's at least as good and easily
>>> usable as Adblock+ on Firefox?
>> Click button 3 (X terminology-ish), choose "Block content ...", click
>> on the ads you don't want to see, click "Done", the ads are removed
>
> Does this also work for layers? Can I specify id=''s, that I dislike?
> Can I specify class=""'s, that I don't want to see? Can I specify
> parts of URIs that are not allowed to be shown (e.g. if there's "espotting"
> *somewhere* in URI, the content is to be blocked)? Can I make it so,
> that those bans are only for a certain domain?
>
> heise.de#*(class*=banner)
>
> This would block all the "class=banner" elements on heise.de, but not
> on other domains.
>
> Does all of this work?

Not that I'm aware of.  None of your examples.

>> and the page resizes, unless the ad is contained in a fixed container
>> of some sort.
>
> Can those fixed containers be removed as well?

As I tried to write, no.

>>  Looks a bit similar to the Flashblock in Firefox's Adblock.
>
> I don't know what you mean with that.

If you 3rd click on the "Adblock" icon/text you get a menu, choose
"Overlay Flashblock" and you get (on ad-intensive pages) something
that looks like Opera's solution, which looks like this:

     http://heim.ifi.uio.no/~alfh/Skjermdump.png

I don't think the Flashblock stuff works the same way, ie. I havn't
got the hang of it yet.

>>  Which is better or more usable is up to you.
>
> The interface to Adblock+ and the features it offers, are close to perfect.
> Anything less is not what I want. I basically want an Adblock+ for Opera.

Then you don't want Opera, and I'm not too impressed with the Adblock
interface.

> If there's no such thing, than I tend to say, that Opera is lacking an
> extremely important feature.

I have other features I put higher up on my list.  When it comes to
Firefox I would say that the "Web Developer" plugin is my favourite,
and even though Opera is closing in on that one with the 9.0 release,
Opera still lacks a few bits.

	Affi