Ubuntu a poor choice for servers

Carl Karsten carl at personnelware.com
Mon Jul 10 06:29:53 UTC 2006

David Abrahams wrote:
> "Adriano Varoli Piazza" <moranar at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> 2006/7/10, David Abrahams <dave at boost-consulting.com>:
>>> Well, sorry if the subject seems troll-ish, but I thought it would
>>> probably get the attention of someone who counts.  I really want to
>>> use Ubuntu, but as of now, I'm installing Fedora...
>> Sorry if the answer seems trite,
>
> Doesn't.
>
>> but since you do give positive criticism, did you post the bugs in
>> launchpad?
>
> Launchpad?
>
>> You seem to have gone over this carefully.
>
> I reported the LVM-only bugs for Breezy (probably not in the right place),
> and the person responsible actually got back to me.
>
> Unfortunately, doing a proper bug report for the LVM-over-softraid
> would mean blowing away my Fedora installation -- which is now running
> LVM over dmraid **out of the box**.  Or I suppose I could try it on an
> old laptop that sits idle.  But honestly, I don't think you can miss
> the problems.

I saw this too - filed a few reports, but wasn't exactly sure what was "expected".

I am waiting for edgy CD images to be built so I can start doing pxe based
installs again (which broke in the last few weeks of dapper beta.)  - once the
pxe booted installer gets working again, I'll take a closer look at LVM and raid
  and file some more reports.

So your post may have the effect you were hoping for :)