network-manager can't find ethernet card

Matthew Kuiken matt.kuiken at verizon.net
Sun Jul 9 18:07:29 UTC 2006

Sebastian Gil wrote:
> Hi
> I have a new laptop, asus a6jm with a realtek 8168 ethernet card. The
> card works great when configured in interfaces but when I installed
> network-manager (and correctly commented interfaces) n-m can't seem to
> find the ethernet card (wireless works ok)
> I already downloaded/compiled the driver from realtek site but i got
> the same result
>
> Here's lspci output
> 0000:02:00.0 Ethernet controller:Realtek semiconductor So., Ltd.:
> Unknow device 8168 (rev 01)"
>
> Should i fill a bug?

Before you file a bug (if you haven't already...), what does ifconfig
say?  Does it list both wireless and wired interfaces?  Did you comment
both interfaces out of the interfaces file?  (Sorry, I often make
mistakes like this, so I need to check.)  The information above is a bit
incomplete for anyone to help you figure out where the error is.
Posting more information than is necessary is better than posting too
little (within reason...).

-Matt