Newbie

albi albi at scii.nl
Sun Jul 9 12:03:02 UTC 2006

On Sun, 09 Jul 2006 13:45:58 +0200
Karl Järnhammer <jernhammer at ystad.nu> wrote:

> Then someone suggested Ubuntu as a 'free' alternative.

(i assume you know the meanings of free as in freedom and free as in
free beer ? they happen to apply both to ubuntu)

> Had I started there instead I would have hopefully avoided much
> grief. I didn't even look for these as I really thought it was ready
> to go. Another thing I would like to mention is that in spite of all
> manner of installation wizards even these are sometimes difficult to
> understand for the uninitiated as they often use 'jargon' and terms
> which do not necessarily translate easily and logically into the
> users language. Even a little thing like a roll down menu which
> include POP but does not mention POP3 whilst at the same time
> offering a multitude of unheard of alternatives - got me worried for
> a start. I mean if POP3 is the same as POP why call it 3? And if it's
> not the same why isn't it on the list? And if I select POP having
> been told I have a POP3 account and nothing else - will it work or
> should I give up right there? I remember my daughter was installing DC
> ++ for me and I asked her why she was doing what ' I don't know' she
> replied!'  'So how do you know what to do?' I asked. 'My friend Linda
> has it set up like this..........' Oh well.......

just by coincidence i looked at this page last week after a collegue
asked what pop3 is :  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/POP3

quote :
"POP3 has made earlier versions of the protocol obsolete, POP
(informally called POP1) and POP2. In contemporary usage, the less
precise term POP almost always means POP3 in the context of e-mail
protocols."