tetex 2.x on ubuntu

Daniel T. Chen crimsun at fungus.sh.nu
Sat Jul 8 23:46:53 UTC 2006

Laura Conrad wrote:
> On my desktop machine (dapper), I would like to install tetex 2.x, as
> I need to be able to run an old version of lilypond which doesn't work
> with 3.x.

There is no easy way currently. You can have 2.x or 3.x but not both, as
there isn't an easily-coexisting set of packages.

> When I put this file on my Dapper system, and say "apt-get install
> tetex-base tetex-bin", I get:
>
> Reading package lists... Done
> Building dependency tree... Done
> Package tetex-base is not available, but is referred to by another package.
> This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
> is only available from another source
> However the following packages replace it:
>   tetex-extra tetex-doc texinfo tex-common
> E: Package tetex-base has no installation candidate

Right. For Dapper's 3.x, make sure you have dapper-updates for main enabled:

crimsun at garnish:~$ apt-cache policy tetex-base tetex-bin tetex-extra
tetex-base:
  Installed: 3.0-15ubuntu1
  Candidate: 3.0-15ubuntu1
  Version table: