Ubuntu is not free.

meets at free.fr meets at free.fr
Sat Jul 8 14:34:31 UTC 2006

On Sat, 08 Jul 2006 09:39:32 -0400
ubuntu at rio.vg wrote:

> meets at free.fr wrote:
> > _Translation_ :
> > knowing that it's not easy to install a proprietary
> > software does not interest me. What interest me is to get the
> > information. So, if I wish, I can install, for example, the
> > ipw2100-fw driver, I invoke pacman -S ipw2100-fw. On the other
> > hand, a message warns me that the driver is not free. Far from the
> > Ubuntu methods ;)".
> Please write a new ipw2100 firmware in a clean room environment and
> release it under the GPL, then Ubuntu will no longer need to rely on
> non-free software.

> That is the only solution.  Just read through this list, how many
> entries are there for wireless networking issues posted?  And you want
> to force Ubuntu to make it _MORE_ difficult?

> I ask you this: If my only networking is a card that requires that
> ipw2100 firmware, how the hell am I supposed to download it?  Network
> drivers _must_ be on the CD.
Hello,
As you will see in next post I'm preparing, I'm not a developper, I
even hardly know bash scripting, but I feel concerned very much.
One elegant solution to networking wifi issues would be to have a
choice among kernels when installing (and the firmware license
presented at this moment).

I would not want to look like being sarcastic, but It appears to me
suddenly that I don't have a driver fit for Linux for my laptop. The
winmodem is a ESS Technology ES2838/2839 SuperLink Modem, I went through
the diverses sites where a solution could be searched for, and there is
none for this one card (save an old text, a testimony it didn't work
very well, and under 2.2 kernel only, and no more page under the link
for the dl).

Can you fancy how many hundreds materials exist ? what if everyone
wants to have the matching drivers and firmwares inclueded in the
linux-image package ? What about stability for example, or lightness ?

(I still didn't compile my own kernel, after two years using a Linux
distribution).
Best greetings, Joyce Markoll.