how to adjust the partion size of ubuntu 6.06?

Alexander Skwar listen at alexander.skwar.name
Sat Jul 8 07:20:15 UTC 2006

zhihang wang schrieb:
> the partition about my harddisk is as follows:
> Disk /dev/hda: 60.0 GB, 60011642880 bytes
> 255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 7296 cylinders
> Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
>
>    Device Boot      Start         End      Blocks   Id  System
> /dev/hda1   *           1        3825    30724281    c  W95 FAT32 (LBA)
> /dev/hda3            7210        7296      698827+   5  Extended
> /dev/hda4            6939        7209     2176807+  83  Linux
> /dev/hda5            7227        7296      562243+  82  Linux swap / Solaris
> /dev/hda6            7210        7226      136489+  82  Linux swap /
> Solaris
>
> Partition table entries are not in disk order
>

> I have only one harddisk.
> I installed xp on hda1. I installed ubuntu5.05 on the other space first.
> Because it doesn't support my video card, I installed ubuntu6.06 on the
> harddisk. Now I want to delete the ubunt 5.05. So I delete the partion
> from cylinder from 3826 to 6938, which you can see from the partition
> list. Now I can't assure which partion(hda5 or hda6) is the swap partion
> of ubuntu6.06.

Have a look at your fstab; it'll be listed there. BTW: Why do you have two
swap partitions in the first place? There's no problem in using swap partitions
with different linux distributions.

> I also want to delte the swap partion of ubuntu5.05 and I
> want to adjust the partion so that the disk space beside xp should all
> be used for ubunt 6.06. Would you like to help me?

What *I* would do, is, I'd create a partiton of type 8E (Linux LVM)
and make that a physical volume (PV). I'd then create a Volume Group out
of this PV and create Logical Volumes (LV) on this VG. I'd then migrate
the data from /dev/hda4 to the LVs and finally make hda4 also a pv and
add it to the VG, so that the space of hda3 is available to the VG.
Benefit: Resizing lv's ("partitions") and thus also filesystems (at least
reiserfs and xfs) will become a no-brainer: lvresize -L+123m /dev/Volume00/USR &&
resize_reiserfs /dev/Volume00/USR

See the LVM Howto at tldp.org: http://tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO

Alternatively, if you want to stick with old-style, unflexible partitioning,
use a tool like gparted to resize your partition. But, as I said, I'd take
the oppurtunity to switch to LVM.

Oh, one important point to note: If you wish to access some of the data
from another operting system (*BSD, Solaris, OS/2, Windows), then create
at least one "exchange filesystem" on an old-style partition.

> Can you help me?

Please no HTML! Please no top posts! Please no full quotes!

Alexander Skwar
--
Vaterland nennt der Staat immer dann, wenn er sich anschickt, auf
Menschenmord auszugehen.