Different Network-Profiles

use_real_email_ulist at ohiggins.ubuntu.com use_real_email_ulist at ohiggins.ubuntu.com
Fri Jul 7 15:21:44 UTC 2006

Hi guys!

I'm an (almost) happy ubuntu user. I've recently switched to it on my
desktop machines at home and on many more at work. However, I share
with you the profile problem with my laptop. I've been happily using
mandrake/mandriva in that laptop, which cames with the best profile
manager I've seen so far. It allows to have not only different IPs and
modes (static, dhcp), but to configure different printers and to start
different services depending on the profile you have chosen. In
addition, it allows to select it at boot time.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not advertising Mandriva, for I badly want to
swtich to ubuntu, but this issue is preventing me from doing that. For
my laptop ubuntu doesn't give me any added value, installing it can be
seen as a downgrade in this case.

This kind of service (called netprofile in mandriva) doesn't seem to be
too hard to implement, so I'm wondering why ubuntu isn't moving in that
direction. It would greatly improve laptop usability.

Please let me know if you know some solution to this problem.

Best Regards,

Juan

--
drunken_sapo