How to enable Admin functions in CUPS web admin screen

Liam Proven lproven at gmail.com
Sat Jul 8 01:09:21 UTC 2006

This is currently on Breezy but an upgrade is doable if that will fix it.

I've installed cupsys and associated packages on my Ubuntu 5.10
server, and enabled access from other machines on the LAN, but when I
try to go into the web admin screen, I hit 2 problems.

[1] It won't let me log in with my ordinary username. I've had to give
root a password and use that.

[2] Even so, when I log in, all the admin functions are disabled.
There is a very unhelpful suggestion to use the graphical GNOME tool,
which is not much use on a machine with no GUI.

I have Googled the problem and found this:

http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/2117/

I have followed the suggestions there. I have added my user to the
lpadmin group; I have added cupsys to the shadow group; I have even
rebooted the server since then. It makes no difference. I have
unzipped & studied the /usr/share/doc/cupsys/README.Debian file, as
indicated in the warning message on the webadmin screen, but it offers
no guidance. I have also tried

dpkg-reconfigure cupsys

But that offered no relevant choices either.

Can anyone make any further suggestions?

Thanks in advance!

--
Liam Proven · Blog, homepage &c: http://lproven.livejournal.com/profile
Email: lproven at cix.co.uk · GMail/Google Talk/Orkut: lproven at gmail.com