Praising Opera 9

Dotan Cohen dotancohen at gmail.com
Fri Jul 7 18:09:56 UTC 2006

On 07/07/06, Alexander Skwar <listen at alexander.skwar.name> wrote:
> Alf-Ivar Holm schrieb:
> > Alexander Skwar <listen at alexander.skwar.name> writes:
> >
> >> Does Opera finally have something that's at least as good and easily
> >> usable as Adblock+ on Firefox?
> >
> > Click button 3 (X terminology-ish), choose "Block content ...", click
> > on the ads you don't want to see, click "Done", the ads are removed
>
> Does this also work for layers? Can I specify id=''s, that I dislike?
> Can I specify class=""'s, that I don't want to see? Can I specify
> parts of URIs that are not allowed to be shown (e.g. if there's "espotting"
> *somewhere* in URI, the content is to be blocked)? Can I make it so,
> that those bans are only for a certain domain? E.g.
>
> heise.de#*(class*=banner)
>
> This would block all the "class=banner" elements on heise.de, but not
> on other domains.
>
> Does all of this work?
>
> > and the page resizes, unless the ad is contained in a fixed container
> > of some sort.
>
> Can those fixed containers be removed as well?
>
> >  Looks a bit similar to the Flashblock in Firefox's
> > Adblock.
>
> I don't know what you mean with that.
>
> >  Which is better or more usable is up to you.
>
> The interface to Adblock+ and the features it offers, are close to perfect.
> Anything less is not what I want. I basically want an Adblock+ for Opera.
> If there's no such thing, than I tend to say, that Opera is lacking an
> extremely important feature.
>
> Alexander Skwar

While I don't use adblock, there are some FF extensions that I
wouldn't be able to survive without. If anybody at Opera (or a
community developer) is following this thread, then know that I will
switch to Opera the day I can get Alexa Ratings and Google PR right
there in the browser, aka the SearchStatus Fx extension. Other useful,
but not as necessary, features I will mention in terms of other Fx
extensions that I use:
JSView, Mouseless Browsing, Text Link, and of course the Web Developer Toolbar.

Until either Konqueror or Opera (preferably Opera) gets these
features, I'm stuck with Firefox. Not that that's a bad thing- I like
Fx. But somehow Opera _feels_ faster (yes, I've tried FasterFox), and
it's much more polished and professional. I do understand that the
Widgets will take away some of that polish and professionalism, but
that's fine.

Dotan Cohen
http://what-is-what.com