How to get KWorld TV Tuner working under Linux

Santanu Chatterjee thisissantanu at gmail.com
Fri Jul 7 06:56:18 UTC 2006

Hi,

I got the card working!! All this time I had the solution in my
hands and I did not use it properly.

First, the chips that my card has:
Conexant Fusion 878A, TEA5767 (FM Tuner)

I followed the same procedure as mentioned in

As mentioned there, I put the following lines in my
/etc/modprobe.d/bttv file:
option bttv card=78 radio=1 tuner=38 pll=1 gbuffers=4
gpiomask=0x1c0007
audiomux=0x080000,0x000001,0x080000,0x080000,0x000001
After I rebooted, both FM Radio and TV started working perfectly!!
(So, my tuner type is 38, not 5 as was autodetected using the card=78 option)

Last time I used the same procedure, it did not work, possibly because
I was using 2.6.8 kernel in Debian Sarge. Recently, I got a SuSE 10.1 DVD
with a magazine and installed it yesterday just to see how SuSE looked.
There it worked. SuSE 10.1 is using the 2.6.16 kernel, and I think that
made the difference. Another thing I noticed was that
xawtv in SuSE could tune the channels more or less correctly, but could
not display the pictures. Even audio was working, but no picture.
On the other hand, the default TV and Radio applications (kdetv and kradio)
worked perfectly. SuSE did not come with tvtime, so I could not try it out.

My Sarge DVDs did not come with kradio and kdetv, and I don't have internet
connection at home (that's why even though I have a Dapper installation with
a 2.6.15 kernel in another partition, I could not try any tv viewing
application there
as Dapper CD does not come with it). Anyway, I will now try using the latest
kernel in Debian to get this thing working there. I am already missing
apt in SuSE.

Thanks a lot for replying to my queries. Now I can remove windows
from my system.

Regards,
Santanu