When is a new kernel released?

Felipe Figueiredo philsf at ufrj.br
Fri Jul 7 02:21:37 UTC 2006

On Thursday 06 July 2006 18:13, Mario Vukelic wrote:

> I don't know what is needed if you want to do it manually with
> kernel.org sources. Probably a lot of reading :)

Assuming you did read a lot about the kernel options, and are willing to take
your chances, the basics are somewhat like follows

sudo aptitude install kernel-package

go into kernel source dir
cp /boot/config-<your kernel version> .config
sudo make-kpkg --initrd --config xconfig kernel-image
sudo make-kpkg kernel-headers
<go get some coffee>
cd ..
dpkg -i <.debs created>

I did this a bunch of times in debian, and were using lilo. You may (highly
unlikely) have to do something else to make grub realize there's a new kernel
option.

regards
FF