Help with wireless networking

Russell Butler russell at rj-il-butler.com
Fri Jul 7 01:29:00 UTC 2006

Daniel Carrera wrote:
> On Thu, 2006-06-07 at 18:05 +0200, Gilles Gravier wrote:
>> The network configuration tool of Ubuntu is extremely simplistic.
>
> Yeah...
>
>> It assumes that your WEP key is in position 1. If it isn't, you have
>> to do this manually.
>
>> You might need to manually edit /etc/network/interfaces ...
>
> What should I put in there?  I know how to manage regular ethernet cards
> in /etc/network/interfaces but I'm new to wireless.
>
> Cheers,
> Daniel.

Hi Daniel

You don't say what model card you have and what chip it uses. I have a
Minitar card in my laptop using a now antique Ralink 2400 chip. I had a
similar problem to yours until I installed the driver from the support
site -- had to install from the tarball, but I doubt you would find that
a problem.  This installed (also) a specific configuration utility which
works very well. Mostly establishes the link itself unless I am at the
other end of the house and signal is weak, when it may need a prompt.

My point is that all cards are not equal and you may need help from the
specific support site for your card/chip.

HTH

Regards

Russell