securing an Ubuntu box in a shared office?

Serg B. sergicles at gmail.com
Fri Jul 7 00:58:45 UTC 2006

Howdy,

If you expect people to perform a physical attack on the machine such
as opening a case and what not then (you are screwed either way, don't
install machine there) I suggest bolting the case shut and covering it
with liquid nails. Super gluing all peripherals to it could also help.
Hope you can see the humor in that.

Even better choice, keeping it in a server room and lock the door.
Don't you love simplest solutions. No server room? No problem, explain
to your boss whats going on and keep it in his office.

This is a given for any environment but I thought I would mention it
anyway while being on the subject of bullshit suggestions.

A good starting points for you, in my opinion are:

1. Put it in a server room and lock the door.
2. Install and run a package called Bastille-Linux.

In regards to actual (general) OS hardening: Plenty of info for that
on the net. And volumes, volumes and volumes of books, some of them
are even worth reading.

   Serg