vmware player

Tony Arnold tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk
Thu Jul 6 22:00:57 UTC 2006

On Thu, 2006-07-06 at 15:14 +0200, Eberhard Roloff wrote:

> Well, there is vmware p2v (physical2virtual) which enables you to
> transform an existing windows installation into a vmware image.
> However, this Product is NOT free.
>
> > To do that, you'd need the full VMware product - the free
> > VMware server would be sufficient.
>
> alternatively you could use vmware workstation which you can
> run for a 30day trial - for free.

I think I will try this route and if succesful just buy a copy of
VMware.

I thought there was an option in VMware to use a real partition as a
virtual disk and thus be able to boot an existing Windows installation.
I guess Windows may have a problem sorting out the change in hardware,
especially, if I boot the system for real afterwards!

One of the reasons for wanting to do it this way is I don't have enough
space in my /home partition on Linux to create a 2G virtual disk. I have
some unused (i.e., no partition) space on the disk, but I've used up my
4 partitions, and am unable to move/resize partitions, or at least I've
not figured out how.

Regards,
Tony.
E: tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk, H: http://www.man.ac.uk/Tony.Arnold