Help with wireless networking

Daniel Carrera daniel.carrera at zmsl.com
Thu Jul 6 15:55:38 UTC 2006

Hello,

I've put in a new wireless card on my laptop (PCMCIA). Ubuntu detects it
correctly, but I can't seem to connect to the local wireless network.
And I feel like I don't have many tools to diagnose the problem.

I'm using the GUI network manager, and I see the wireless card, so I go
to properties. There I see that Ubuntu has located the network because
it has the right entry in the network name (ESSID). I enter the WEP key
(yes, this is a secured network, Ubuntu is supposed to support this).
Then I set the card to use DHCP. Click OK.

Then the card takes forever to activate and in the end it still has no
IP address. That is, if I run ifconfig I see the card there (wlan0) but
it has no IP.

I don't really know what to try. Any ideas?

Cheers,
Daniel.
--
http://opendocumentfellowship.org
  "The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the