Why is OpenOffice slow?

Eberhard Roloff tuxebi at gmx.de
Thu Jul 6 09:23:46 UTC 2006

On Thu, 6 Jul 2006 04:29:07 +1000
Peter Garrett <peter.garrett at optusnet.com.au> wrote:

> On Wed, 5 Jul 2006 19:37:51 +0200
> Eberhard Roloff <tuxebi at gmx.de> wrote:
>
> > Even if it were 30 seconds, what
> > does this say in relation to an eight or twelve hour workday?
> > Especiallly if we consider that the guy in front of
> > the keyboard is by far the slowest component of the computer,
> > at least as long as we discuss the usage of a full blown
> > Office Suite.
>
> If you want quick startup, there's a preloader built in now:
> ( replaces the old oooqstarter etc from previous versions,
> which had to be added/installed separately ).
>
> In OpenOffice.org (start up the Writer component ) :
>
> Tools --> Options --> OpenOffice.org --> Memory -->
> OpenOffice.org Quickstarter  ( tick the box, bottom left )
>
> It puts a quickstart applet in the Notification Area ( System
> Tray if you prefer) , from which you can choose any app in the
> suite. First start is slow of course, but subsequent starts
> are almost instantaneous. It also survives logout/login if you
> have session saving enabled.
>
> I realise there isn't much difference between this and
> minimising the app, but it is more convenient, particularly if
> you use several different components of the suite during the
> day.
>
> Peter

Thanks for advice Peter.
Actually whenever I install OOorg, the quickstarter is always
the first that I remove.
I cannot see a reason so sacrifice RAM to something that I might
eventually start sometime.

On my last install of OOorg. 2.03 (on
Windows) I had to explicitly disable the quickstarter install.
So I cannot affirm that it is now buildin, at least not in
windows.

regards
Eberhard