xorg 7.1 in edgy

Senectus . senectus at gmail.com
Wed Jul 5 22:26:13 UTC 2006

On 06/07/06, Vincent Trouilliez <vincent.trouilliez at numericable.fr> wrote:
> On Wed, 2006-07-05 at 17:23 +0100, Daniel Carrera wrote:
> > Come on, 7.1 is just over a month old. Ubuntu is supposed to have recent
> > packages, but not bleeding edge. What does 7.1 have that make it so
> > critical to upgrade?
>
> Nothing critical, but IIRC 7.1 would give AIGLX support out of the box
> (?), and sadbfl in his announcement IIRC said that Edgy would be the
> ideal opportunity to pack lots of "cool" stuff, with explicit reference
> IIRC, to 3D desktop coolness of some sort. So the OP's question is 200%
> legitimate IMHO !
> I too hope that we will get 7.1, if that's what needed to have AIGLX out
> of the box.
>
> If only critical stuff was added in new releases, we would all still be
> using Warty ! ;-)

Not that I disagree with you, or want it any different but...
I'm kinda wondering why we're choosing edgy to be umm.. edgy?
It's the first release with this short a dev time and yet we're upping
the danger/pain threshold to higher levels than norm buy putting damn
near "bleeding edge" features into it.

Don't our devs have enough stress with normal releases?

Cutting the production time and upping the ante is something my bosses
like to do to me, and in my experiences it causes nothing but employee
burn out and substandard results.

--
www.modmeup.net
Ubuntu Dapper 6.06