turning off IPv6

Christofer C. Bell christofer.c.bell at gmail.com
Wed Jul 5 13:16:50 UTC 2006

On 7/4/06, Noah Dain <noahdain at gmail.com> wrote:

> yeah, i never did fathom why it seems like every linux distro feels
> the need to have ipv6 enabled out of the box.  It's always the first
> thing I throw out for a custom kernel.

Because people do use it and distributors want *every* user of their
product to be able to use it (their distribution) out of the box.

> I can think of many reasons NOT to have it enabled, and no good
> reasons for it to be enabled by default.

Other than people who are using it and the fact that simply having it
enabled presents no security concern whatsoever.

> Just seems like they want everyone to play "security guineapig" for a
> newfangled protocol.

No.

--
Chris

"I trust the Democrats to take away my money, which I can afford.  I
trust the Republicans to take away my freedom, which I cannot."