Problem after upgrading from kubuntu 5.10 to 6.06

Matthew Kuiken matt.kuiken at verizon.net
Tue Jul 4 21:31:32 UTC 2006

Guenther Bergmann wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> some days ago i upgraded my kubuntu 5.10 to kubuntu 6.06.
> With kubuntu 5.10 the WLAN-chip worked out of the box. After the upgrade i can
> not use WLAN any more.
>
> Hardware is a HP NX 6110 laptop (centrino chipset). The driver ipw2200 loads
> without an error, but there is no device that can be used.
> "iwlist scan" says
>
> lo		interface does'nt support scanning
>
> eth0		interface does'nt support scanning
>
> sit0		interface does'nt support scanning
>
> I think this problem is similar to
> http://forum.ubuntuusers.de/topic/34412/?highlight=
>
> Any help will be appreciated

Sorry, I don't have a true solution, just a suggestion.

I have an IPW2200 also.  I have had it working fine under Dapper for a
while now.  I use it with the network-manager package.

Thus my suggestion is to install network-manager, and knetwork-manager
(its GUI applet for KDE), and use that.  In order to use network
manager, the wireless interface lines in /etc/network/interfaces should
all be commented out, as nm does not try to use any interfaces that are
defined in that file.

BTW, I use gnome, so I have network-manager-gnome installed.  From
comments I have read elsewhere, though, the differences should be minor.

HTH,
-Matt