Getting list of installed packages for later re-installation

Kristian Rink kristian at zimmer428.net
Tue Jul 4 19:26:46 UTC 2006

Alexander;

Alexander Skwar schrieb:
> You shouldn't have said this :)
>
> What you wrote worked quite fine, but I'm demanding. To test
> what you wrote, I modified packages.list and changed one
> unimportant package (myspell-de-at) from "Deinstall" to "Install".
> When I select "Install", I get this:

Disclaimer: By now I just used this method on servers with a, say,
lengthy package list being too lazy to select everything again while
installing from scratch. So far I never actually messed with the package
list manually, so everything to follow is just close to
"try-and-guess"... :)

> This means, that it suggests to INSTALL the new package myspell-de-at
> (fine!)
> and UPDATE the linux-headers, ... packages.

Were linux-headers, ..., marked as "install" in the packages list you
built?

> Or does it not make sense what I wrote/want and I've got to upgrade
> those packages as well? But I'd rather not do this - I just want to
> install myspell-de-at, as that's the only difference in the packages.list.

I'm not exactly sure why it happens this way (ideas, anyone?), but by
now I've always just used this for "recovery purposes" in order to
reinstall stuff on an empty system. Personally, I don't know what
happens in an environment with an up-to-date package list that actually
has _seen_ there are new versions available of some packages which might
be upgraded. The way it looks to me, dselect obviously decides to
install updates which are available (of packages that are marked
"install" ?).

To check this out, a good way perhaps would be to dist-upgrade your
system and, right then, try this way again in order to see what happens
then... Or, even better, install a cut-down system in a qemu environment
and try the --set-selections thing there.

Good luck, hope this was of a little help anyhow. :)
Cheers,
Kris

Kristian Rink *  http://zimmer428.net * jab: kawazu at jabber.ccc.de
icq: 48874445 *  fon: ++49 176 2447 2771
"Wenn einer allein träumt, ist es nur ein Traum. Wenn viele gemeinsam
träumen, ist das der Anfang einer neuen Wirklichkeit." (Hundertwasser)