Getting list of installed packages for later re-installation

Kristian Rink kristian at zimmer428.net
Tue Jul 4 18:49:26 UTC 2006

Alexander;

Alexander Skwar schrieb:
> To get a list of the installed packages, I wanted to do:
>
>     dpkg -l | awk '{print $2}' > ListOfInstalledPackages.txt
>
> And to later reinstall those packages, I tought about:

I'm not sure whether this is the way to go, but it worked out very well
quite often for me (both running Debian and ubuntu):

(a) create your package list this way:

dpkg --get-selections > packages.list

... work ...

(b) reinstalled: replay your package list into the empty system:

dpkg --set-selections < packages.list

(c) enter "dselect", choose" option "install", hope for the best. :)

Hmmm, hope this was the way it should be done, it's been quite a while.
Good luck to you, feel free to ask if you need additional help. :)

Cheers,
Kris

Kristian Rink *  http://zimmer428.net * jab: kawazu at jabber.ccc.de
icq: 48874445 *  fon: ++49 176 2447 2771
"Wenn einer allein träumt, ist es nur ein Traum. Wenn viele gemeinsam
träumen, ist das der Anfang einer neuen Wirklichkeit." (Hundertwasser)