Received ShipIt CDs!

Christofer C. Bell christofer.c.bell at gmail.com
Tue Jul 4 06:15:22 UTC 2006

On 7/3/06, Nate <e70423 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Eh... the alternate CD is somewhat different from the Desktop CD. The
> Desktop CD's LiveCD functionality takes up space. Because the alternate
> CD doesn't need to use up that space for LiveCD functionality, the
> developers were able to put other useful things on there, like the
> ability to recover an installation. Because of this different use of
> extra space, the alternate CD  is better for some things (the heavy
> linux user), while the desktop CD is better for others (the new person
> who justs want to check this ubuntu thing out).

I think this response is incredibly misleading.  The desktop CD is
fine for everyone, new and old user alike.  There is nothing special
or "elite" about using the alternative CD.  The desktop CD (aka Live
CD) is a fully functional Ubuntu installation with all that entails.
You can perform pretty much any system recovery task necessary using
it.  Neither CD option is "better" than the other for some over
generalized group of users as you imply.

--
Chris

"I trust the Democrats to take away my money, which I can afford.  I
trust the Republicans to take away my freedom, which I cannot."