GPL compliance

Gary W. Swearingen garys at opusnet.com
Sun Jul 2 18:24:10 UTC 2006

ubuntu at rio.vg writes:

> Authors can, in fact, sell their copyrights, in their entirety.  It

I'm unsure, but I think that's not right, even in the USA.  17 USC
106a lists some rights of which 106e says:

    the rights conferred by subsection (a) may not be transferred, but
    those rights may be waived if the author expressly agrees to such
    waiver in a written instrument signed by the author.

But it's confusing by later implying that those are not copyrights
(and I'm unsure if any of it should or could apply to software).

Here in the USA a dude sold a butt-ugly outdoor sculpture to a guy and
then, without any special terms of sale or such, mananged (with court
help) to prevent the guy from cutting it up and sending it to the
recycler where it belonged.  (I forget if he bought it back or what
happend to it.)  Something about artistic or moral rights or some such
nonsense which the right (or wrong) court could no-doubt find in
sofwtare too.