RMS, Free software and the Ubuntu CDs

Alexander Skwar listen at alexander.skwar.name
Sun Jul 2 11:32:36 UTC 2006

Alan McKinnon wrote:
> On Sun, 2006-07-02 at 11:33 +0200, Alexander Skwar wrote:
>> > Americans often like to spell it "guh-new" to make clear it's
>> pronounced
>> > with an audible G. A word spelled gnu would otherwise be pronounced
>> like
>> > "new" by many
>>
>> Ah. Now I understand. That's not the way it's pronunced in German.
>> It's rather a "gnuh". I don't know how to explain it. In German,
>> it's also not "new" but just "nu". Can't explain it.
>
> Imagine a language that combined random features of C, PL1, Basic (any
> variant you like), COBOL, Pascal, Assembler, Intercal and brainfuck.
> It's a mess right? Now that's the current state of English. It doesn't
> make sense and it's not supposed to :-)
>
> The animal is a guh-noo,

Is it? Well. In English, it certainly is like you say. And that's
why I don't understand Michael, as in German "Gnu" is not pronunced
in any way like Michael wrote it and also not "guh-noo". It's g.noo.
Sort of. There's no hearable stop between the g and the noo.

> rising a horse is a night and the company that makes soup is kuh-norr.

"kuh-norr" = Knorr?

That's not correct. It is K.norr. Not "kuh". At least in German it's
so and as Knorr is a German company, I tend to say that the only correct
pronunciation is the German one.

Alexander Skwar
--
We are all worms.  But I do believe I am a glowworm.
		-- Winston Churchill