RMS, Free software and the Ubuntu CDs

jean gruneberg kaosboss at gmail.com
Sun Jul 2 07:33:23 UTC 2006

Daniel Carrera wrote:

> If you live in the USA please write to your congressman about repealing
> the DMCA. This is not Canonical's fault. It's incredibly unreasonable to
> blame Canonical for not wanting to break a law that might carry jail
> sentences.

Daniel

Please this was never a dip at Canonical or RMS for that matter.  I was
trying to question if the black / white nature of open source argument
would serve the community in its attempts to get market share in the
long run (Michael - thanks for coming to my rescue).

Question... obviously Canonical (as an example only!) can not license
mp3 payback because they do not charge for the distro.  Neither have dvd
playback out the box (so to speak) due to licensing / legal issues.

Now someone goes to the RIAA / DVD patent owners / Movie studio's
whoever, and says - here is a piece of software that plays dvd's on
Linux, I want to have a license to distribute it with Linux for free as
it will increase your market share in the desktop world.  The RIAA /
patent holders say sure - do it legally with our blessing (lets not get
into the whole dcma issue here - this is imaginary).

He then comes to Canonical with a piece of free but closed source legal
software that would be very important to the average user that we are
trying to convert to linux on the desktop.

Do we get it included or not?

And the same for mp3 etc etc etc

Personally I believe that RMS's very black / white view of what Linux
should be is going to harm us in the long run at getting greater desktop
adoption.

Jean