Ubuntu 6.06 install takes infinite amount of time

Michael T. Richter ttmrichter at gmail.com
Sun Jul 2 06:46:06 UTC 2006

On Sun, 2006-02-07 at 11:58 +0530, िऩऩाद wrote:

> I downloaded the ubuntu ISO "ubuntu-6.06-desktop-i386.iso" . I wrote
> it to a cd and booted it.
> The live cd worked great and I was impressed by the new look and
> changes. I decided to install.
> I clicked on the install icon.
> This started the install but the pc hanged(mouse and keyboard not
> responding) during the timezone selection.
>  I tried again and succeeded in going past the userid and password
> screen but now the pc hangs at the manual partitionscreen with no
> display of the partitions. Reaching to this took almost 45 minutes.And
> all this time there were no error messages and there was continuous
> harddisk and cd activity going on on the computer

I faced a similar problem.  The solution is the new laptop I'm buying in
the next two weeks or so....

You've got a CD failure.  Either your CD drive is dead/dying or the CD
you burned is flawed.  The symptoms you describe match EXACTLY the
problems I have while using CD-Rs, DVD-Rs, some DVD+Rs, and some CD-RWs
and DVD+RWs.  Regular CDs don't cause this problem for me, however.

> Is this the right image which i downloaded
> Is there any alternative way to install ubuntu

I eventually had to install Dapper by installing Breezy (5.10) from a
Shipit disc I had lying around and then running an upgrade online.  This
despite the fact that all my Dapper disks work fine on other computers
(so I know the disks are just dandy).

--
Michael T. Richter
Email: ttmrichter at gmail.com, mtr1966 at hotpop.com
MSN: ttmrichter at hotmail.com, mtr1966 at hotmail.com; YIM:
michael_richter_1966; AIM: YanJiahua1966; ICQ: 241960658; Jabber:
mtr1966 at jabber.cn

"To [the Chinese], all other people are barbarians." --The Dalai Lama