GPL compliance

Alexander Skwar listen at alexander.skwar.name
Sat Jul 1 21:41:34 UTC 2006

Mario Vukelic schrieb:
> On Sat, 2006-07-01 at 22:07 +0200, Alexander Skwar wrote:
>> Is that actually true? I can't believe that
>
> Of course. Or rather, by law, the program can only be distributed by the
> copyright holder.

Well, you know, there's no such thing as copyright in *the* law,
if I'm not mistaken.

But anyway, that ubuntu at rio.vg said, that a program cannot be
distributed. I understood it that way, that not even the author
can distribute it. I understood it that way, as it went on to
write, that a license i required to distribute the program. Not
*re*-distribute, but *distribute*.

> As a licensee you have no distribution rights at all.

Depends on the license, doesn't it? :)

> By putting the program under a free license, the copyright holder allows
> you additional rights. That's why if you as a redistributor to not
> accept the terms of the license, you fall back to the plain copyright as
> defined by law, which is you have no distribution rights at all.

Okay, understood. But it would be interesting to see how *the* (ie.
*my* law) puts it. I'm not yet convinced, that what you wrote is true
even in Germany or all over the world.

Alexander Skwar
--
Die Ehe ist eine obszöne Einrichtung zur Ausbeutung der Männer.
		-- Esther Vilar