GPL compliance

Alexander Skwar listen at alexander.skwar.name
Sat Jul 1 16:11:24 UTC 2006

ubuntu at rio.vg wrote:
> Alexander Skwar wrote:
>>
>>>  If the user wanting the source code doesn't have access to
>>> the internet, that's his own problem.
>>
>> I disagree. If a user got Ubuntu (or any GPL software) on CD and
>> has no Internet, why should he be forced to buy something (Internet
>> access) just so that he can make use of his rights? That doesn't make
>> sense to me.
>
> You have the GPL backwards.  The *user* doesn't have the right to the
> source code.  Instead, the *distributor* is required to provide the
> source code.  Do you see the difference?

Hm, you might be right - but isn't it so, that the user has got
some rights which are the results of the requirements the GPL
has? I mean, if the user cannot make the distributor do something
because of the GPL, then I really don't understand what the GPL
is about. Is it just some "label" a distributor can attach to
his program, but which cannot be enforced, as there's nobody
who can require the rights?

I don't know. The way you put it, it sounds *very* strange.

> The GPL, simply put, is a set of requirements that a distributor must
> meet before the software can be distributed.  It is not a set of user
> rights.
>
>> Now, if Ubuntu would NOT be shipped on CD, then I might agree
>> with you. But Ubuntu is officially available on CD.
>
> There is no requirement in the GPL that the medium of distribution and
> source availability be identical.

Well, a lot of people, including Canonical Ltd., seem to see it a
bit different than you.

>  The only requirement is that it be
> "on a medium customarily used for software interchange",

Which is a CD, if the CD is used for distributing the binaries.

> Is it "nice" and "proper" for ubuntu to send out source code CDs?
> Absolutely.  The legal requirement, however, is satisfied by making the
> sources available for download.

People seem to disagree with you. I also disagree with you.

Alexander Skwar
--
The game of life is a game of boomerangs.  Our thoughts, deeds and words
return to us sooner or later with astounding accuracy.