RMS, Free software and the Ubuntu CDs

Alexander Skwar listen at alexander.skwar.name
Sat Jul 1 14:50:46 UTC 2006

jean gruneberg wrote:
> Actually, I must admit I am getting a little tired of Stallman.  Time to
> move forward.  There will always be companies that have closed source
> drivers - live with it.
>
> Does being 100% free make for better software for the masses, no.  I can
> bet that Linspire / freespire / SUSe / RHED etc with mp3 / dvd / etc etc
> playback out the box

Ehm - SuSE and RH do *NOT* have support for MP3 and DVD out-of-the-box.
At least not the freely available versions of SuSE (OpenSuSE) and
RH (Fedora). If I'm not mistaken, that is.

> will reach critical mass with neophyte desktop
> users way before Ubuntu, and don't get me wrong, I currently have 4
> machines running dapper - but on each one I had to install additional
> software to play my mp3s / dvd etc.  The average joe shmo will install
> Ubuntu - pop in a dvd and...... nothing.... And them pop in the XP
> install disk and move on.

What about XP? On XP, you cannot watch DVDs out-of-the-box. And MP3 - I
don't know.

Alexander Skwar
--
Hubbard's Law:
	Don't take life too seriously; you won't get out of it alive.