RMS, Free software and the Ubuntu CDs

jean gruneberg kaosboss at gmail.com
Sat Jul 1 09:43:54 UTC 2006

Actually, I must admit I am getting a little tired of Stallman.  Time to
move forward.  There will always be companies that have closed source
drivers - live with it.

Does being 100% free make for better software for the masses, no.  I can
bet that Linspire / freespire / SUSe / RHED etc with mp3 / dvd / etc etc
playback out the box will reach critical mass with neophyte desktop
users way before Ubuntu, and don't get me wrong, I currently have 4
machines running dapper - but on each one I had to install additional
software to play my mp3s / dvd etc.  The average joe shmo will install
Ubuntu - pop in a dvd and...... nothing.... And them pop in the XP
install disk and move on.

If we want to reach the masses, we need to get past the 100% mindset.

My .2c (In a rapidly declining SA currency)

Jean