Gnugpg

C Hamel yogich at sc2000.net
Tue Jan 31 10:08:14 UTC 2006

On Tuesday 2006 January 31 08:00, Tony Arnold wrote:
> C Hamel wrote:
> > How is it that GPGME was compiled w/o backend support??  Is no ubuntu
> > user interested in encryption/signing?  I think that is highly unlikely
> > so would appreciate, once more, someone's solution.
>
> I'm not sure what GPGME does, but I use encryption and signing with
> gnupg on Ubuntu. Maybe you need to install the gnupg package?
>
> Regards,
> Tony.
> --
> Tony Arnold, IT Security Coordinator, University of Manchester,
> IT Services Division, Kilburn Building, Oxford Road, Manchester M13 9PL.
> T: +44 (0)161 275 6093, F: +44 (0)870 136 1004, M: +44 (0)773 330 0039
> E: tony.arnold at manchester.ac.uk, H: http://www.man.ac.uk/Tony.Arnold

What bothers me is the fact that I have gnupg installed (as far as I can
tell), and I have the keys.  Kmail requires a backend for encryption, and
what I have cited in my OP is what the error msg states.  In its entirety it
states thus:

"While scanning for OpenPGP support in baend GpgME:
  GPGME was compiled w/o support for OpenPGP.
"While scanning for S/MIME support in backend GpgME:
 GPGME was compiled withough support for S/MIME."

Since KMail is the app that one uses for encryption/sighning it is puzzling
that it is not working.  I am no stranger to encryption/signing but I am a
complete stranger to this error.  Knoppix, SuSE v(8.2 -10), Gentoo (2004.3 -
2005.1) all have worked right out of the box.  This one doesn't seem to want
to do that, unfortunately.

Is there anything I can post --i.e., a config file, or something-- that will
help you help me with this?

Thanks. :-)

--
        ...CH