AMD Dual Core CPU's

Billy Verreynne (JW) VerreyB at telkom.co.za
Tue Jan 31 11:02:14 UTC 2006

Sasha Tsykin wrote:

> maybe Microsoft games (as directx is a Microsoft library). In
general the
> graphics card is more limiting.

In general? Just how general is Microsoft than owns heavens know what
percentage of the desktop market!? Or are you saying that the chief
head on graphic development at Microsoft, a company whose R&D budget
is the GNP of a small nation, does not know what he is talking about
when it comes to CPU and GPU bottlenecks. And that you know better?

How about backing that statement up with some facts instead of
opinion? Show me the money. Or the URLs. From reputable technical
authors that state that their development is GPU bound as they are
pushing too much from the CPU than what the GPU can handle.

>> Bs! Please show me a -single- game on the Windows market today that

>> does not use DirectX.
>>
> As for a single game that does not use directx, how about doom3. Or
quake4.

They -all- use DirectX. Some may use miniGL, or OpenGL as the graphics
rendering API and not Direct3D. But they -all- use DirectSound,
DirectInput, and even DirectPlay.

DirectX is a suite of software APIs that allows a program near native
access to hardware as possible within a multi-processing environment
where all access has to go via the kernel (i.e. we cannot talk
directly to h/w anymore like we did with DOS games).

Now you're telling me that these games you mention will use the
standard Win32 API to read keyboard/mouse/joystick (sharing a message
queue with the rest of the applications) and the standard (somewhat
pathetic) Win32 sound API? No support for 3D sound. Limited support
for the number of sound channels? Poor performance. Etc. Etc.

Hell, I cannot even hook into the DirectInput keyboard queue of a game
like America's Army using a debug hook - which I can easily in
applications that use the standard Windows keyboard queue.

And then you wonder what I called your statement bs?

> Almost any game with a linux port does not use directx. They use
opengl.

Why shift the argument to the type of API and ignore the fundemental
issues? Okay, I'll bite. What about Plib? Does Plib attempt to do
everything in the main calling thread using sync/blocking calls?

> That's why the developers made linux ports. Because its easy for
them
> to port it because linux also supports open-gl.

It is everything except easy to port games from Windows to Linux -
even when written in OpenGL. Besides, this has absolutely no bearing
on discussion.

> If an application
> is single threaded 300 cups won't make a difference, so stop telling
me
> about how important many cpus are.

Then you say you have actually -read- what I said? Sure does seem like
it...

> If you want to prove they're necessary, all you have to do is
demonstrate
> that the majority of games are written as multi-threaded. As yu
can't, because
> they're not, the point is irrelevant.

So did not bother to read what I've said.. <sigh>

Where did I state that the majority of games are multithreaded!? I did
not. I stated two things.
1) more and more games are being written as multi threaded and gave
two real world examples
2) stated that even a single threaded game on Windows will make use of
DirectX and that DirectX itself will run as threaded processes (thus
providing an async interface for things like sound and network comms)

Thus there could be benefits in using a dual core CPU as a gaming
platform over a single CPU.

Proof?

Simple. Run Windows Task Manager and look at the thread count for
DirectX processes when you run one of your games. Run X-Plane (on
Linux, OS/X or Windows) and have a look at its thread handle count.

>> You are confusing ASIC's with multi-threading (a software model)
with
>> the dual CPU capabilities.
>
> I am not. Unless software supports multi-threading, hardware
multi-threading
> will make no difference because it cannot be utilized,

H/w multithreading? ASIC are Application Specific Integrated Circuits.
Which means the CPU off-loads stuff to the ASICs to handle. Simplest
of examples - an ASIC UART will handle a bunch of stuff (like retries)
before telling the CPU that an operation has failed. Thus alleviating
the CPU from having to handle that. And this does not matter whether
or not the software using the UART ASIC is multi-threaded or not!

> Neither. I just know how to argue a point

You could have fooled me.. Unless you can backup your arguments with
some solid technical evidence, this argument of yours is not going
anywhere.

> Incidentally, please stop insulting me.

I'm an amenable old fart Sasha... but talking technical bs is the
-one- thing that makes me reach for my lead pipe. Don't think I will
let technical bs just slide.

--
Billy

This e-mail and its contents are subject to the Telkom SA Limited
e-mail legal notice available at
http://www.telkom.co.za/TelkomEMailLegalNotice.PDF