OT: Cleaning a FILTHY Computer

Duncan Anderson duncangareth at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Jan 31 10:02:03 UTC 2006

David M. Carney wrote:

>I was checking a hard drive that may be going "south" on my Ubuntu
>computer.
>
>When I opened the case, I was nearly sickened by all the filth that has
>accumulated since I last opened it.
>
>This being a mini tower, what is the best and safest non-static way to
>clean this beast?
>
>Vacuum? Compressed air? Combination of both?
>
>David

I have looked at many of the responses to this question, and I have to
agree that blowing compressed air is better that using a vacuum cleaner.
As has been remarked, canned or filtered compressed air blowers are the
best.

If you live in a humid place, you may find that blowing air through the
system is not enough. If your system is really filthy, and by that I
mean caked with wads of "mud", then you really need to take matters
further. Small plastic or wooden "sucker" sticks are useful for
dislodging stubborn bits of gunk. In extreme cases, individual
components can be removed and washed in distilled water. Chemical
solvents are not recommended.

cheers
Duncan